June 19, 2016

WHAT I'VE BEEN UP TO


You thought I bought a van and disapeared somewhere in the World? Or was eaten by a Whale? Nope, here Iam alive and happy :) 
It's hard to believe that is been almost f-i-v-e months since my last blog post here. I didn't mean to be silent for so long but life happens! Since I opened a portuguese blog that I debate what to do, because doesn't make much sense to keep with two blogs about the same subjects, even though one is in english and the other is portuguese. Translating every single text wasn't a solution since it's super time consuming - sometimes it takes 3 hours to finish a single blog post. But I found out a handy google translator tool that is now in the side bar of Shanti Free Bird blog and will be soon another one in my portuguese blog so you can also follow me there. Do you read portuguese and haven't followed my Viver a Viajar blog yet?! Still on time, I swear I don't take it personally :D 

If you are around for a while you know that when I take ages to update the blog, I will make a "What I've been up to" post, so here we go. 

After the scam I was evolved, Ana showed up and we had a beautiful and peaceful trip. We managed to visit Angkor Wat for 3 full days, celebrate my birthday in the paradise, sleep in a Buddhist Monastery with a monk in Myanmar and crush a burmese wedding.

Back in Portugal in the beggining of March, I applied for the Photography Course and started it in April :) I actually finished it already few days ago and I can say it was full of surprises, learned a lot, made great friends and now need to practice like TONS. This picture was taken from our first project which had the theme "praxis" and we had to photograph in black and white film. Analog is love Y


In the end of March I was accepted to work with Worldpackers, a platform online that find volunteers for hostels around the World. So me, right? Because of this job I've been visiting wonderful hostels in Lisbon and meeting awesome hostels managers and owners, like this one who kindly drove me back home. I can make a visit of 40 minutes or 4 hours!! READ MORE IN PORTUGUESE HERE

In March I started doing volunteer work in the Refood close to my house. Refood is spread around the World and our aim is to use the leftovers from restaurants + bakeries + coffee shops and also the products that are almost expiring in the supermarkets and give away food to families economically in need. It's been such a positive experience and I love my refood fellows who work with me.


During the two months Photography Course I had to photograph a lot, my teacher was sending homework every two days or so. I understand that we had to practice and show him results so he could tell us where to improve but I had a phase of completly burnout and started not enjoying photography anymore. This made me think, Am I will ever be able to be a professional photographer? To take pictures WHEN I HAVE TO, accept to do works I DISLIKE, or do I want to keep it as an hobby and love each bit of it? Still figuring out. 

Well, these pics were taken in the Bollywood Holi here in Lisbon, it was super fun and I was proud of my final photography results. Again, I was taking pics of something I truly adore. That's awesome when you have homeworks like this :D

Been in a bunch of fairs and markets and finding great organic beauty products and cheap second hand goodies. This one is called Feira Intendente and actually last weekend me and Bruno had a stall with our Around the World ethnic products plus clothes, books and sunglasses. I was missing so much the interaction between vendors and the art of bargaining. Hopefully will attend some more during the Summer. 

I said I would go to my hometown every two months but I'm going every 2 weeks :) First Ana came as a surprise, then it was Su's Baby Shower, then her baby born and I had to meet his pretty face. Soon I'll be there again. My 2016 plan of visiting more often my family is going pretty well. 

First weekend of June was Bloggers Camp! It's one of the most exciting events of the year and it was so cool to meet up more of the bloggers I follow. Also it was a great surprise that in 40 bloggers, 4 were travel bloggers, we are growing in Portugal and I couldn't be happier :D 

Last month Cat from Joan of July sent me a special invitation to colaborate in a portuguese online magazine about photography! May was a super busy month and I almost denied but in the end I said yes and I'm so happy to be part of such beautiful creation. Can't wait to see our baby Blume growing up.

Guys I think this post is getting way too long. I'd like to know what's up in your lives and thank you for all the messages and emails asking to come back, YOU RULE! 

Keep following me in Viver a Viajar, facebook, instagram, twitter,  or email me martachantrips(at)gmail(dot)com Let's keep in touch :)

2 comments:

  1. How exciting your life's been lately! So jealous of your travels and adventures as always. As someone who consistently turns her passion projects into jobs, yep, it can take the fun out of it. It will never always be fun. Being a professional photographer isn't easy, but there is a demand for it. Your photos turned out beautiful, you do indeed have to practice/practice/practice constantly. I want to take some photography classes again. And pottery, and... :)

    ReplyDelete

What's in your mind? Express yourself :)